Using Taxonomy as Query Sort Criteria

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM
I am attempting to create a forum using the Orchard Forums module. I am really new to Orchard. I want to make sub forums under general forum types. I created a Taxonomy with the hierarchy defined in the Terms. When I view the Taxonomy it looks great.

I have created the forums and added the Taxonomy as a Content Field on the Forum Content Type. I also added a sort order Numeric Field.

I can create a Query to use the Numeric Field as a Sort Criterion, but I can't seem to sort on a Taxonomy Field. Is there any way to do this? If this is a modification to the source code I can do that. I have seen suggestions to do this elsewhere, but mainly on old threads (circa 2011-2012) so I am not sure if that advice still stands.

tl;dr I want to use a Taxonomy Content Field as a sort criterion for a Query. Is this possible?
Dec 27, 2014 at 6:58 AM
Edited Dec 27, 2014 at 7:11 AM
So, what I have done today is I have created a query based on the taxonomy term for each forum. I then created a blank page and a layer specifically for this page. I then added all queries as widgets on the content part of this layer. It allows me to have my nested forums grouped by the parent forum and then sorted by the weight content field I added to the forum content definition.

It all looks okay, but I am really unsure if this is the best/correct practice for what I am trying to achieve.

I also created a structure I liked using the Lists module, but the doco says this is deprecated and to use a taxonomy instead. So I just don't really know what I should be doing. I guess I'll go with my implementation above unless anyone here can provide me with a better option.