Some questions and bugs

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM
Edited Mar 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Hi, firstly thanks for this really flexible and useful module!

I'm having some issues using it however (against Orchard 1.1 from dev branch). I'm now using the latest source code from here, since I realised you'd fixed my first error (relating to dynamic objects).

Let me describe my setup;

- I've added "Containable" part to the Taxonomy content type

- I've created two taxonomies, each with two vocabulary items

- I've created a List and added both taxonomies to it (I initially thought this was causing a problem but it seems not)

- I've added both these taxonomies as Fields to a content item

- I've created a content item and populated both taxonomy fields (so it should be listed)

The idea here is that the user can browse to /taxonomies and see a list of the different taxonomies that they can then drill down into.

However here's the initial problem: one of the taxonomies lists entries, whereas the other one does not. It's actually the second taxonomy I created that correctly lists its entries - the first shows nothing.

Also, what I would expect when browsing into a taxonomy, is that it would list its vocabulary; then each vocabulary would list associated content items.

Instead, what I see under the taxonomy is simply all the content items listed, with a summary showing values for both taxonomies.

Ok; so I'm going to have a go at overriding the templates to see if I can get around this. But there does seem to be a problem with having more than one taxonomy on a content item.

My final problem is this: how to customise the field label displayed for a taxonomy? I'd like to just show the taxonomy title, but instead the FieldName is shown, which is an unfriendly-looking string which I'm not allowed to add spaces into. Is there a general way around this in Orchard, as it obviously applies to other custom fields not just this module?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Pete

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I'm noticing a further problem. When I edit the taxonomy it is correctly showing the path as /taxonomies/ [slug edit field]. However once I go to /taxonomies, each one is just linked to /{slug}. Obviously this doesn't matter from a user's perspective but it's more relevant for SEO etc. :)

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Further update!

Now I've added more content items listed in the taxonomies, and both taxonomies are now showing entries. So obviously there is some kind of problem when only 1 content item has been listed but in multiple taxonomies?

Secondly, the heading on the Taxonomy listing is wrong. It's saying "Contents associated with {Vocabulary term 1}" when at this point is should be saying "Vocabularies associated with {Taxonomy title}".

Once I click on any of the vocabulary terms listed in the summaries, the heading correctly states the vocabulary term I'm looking at. It's just the top-level Taxonomy page that appears wrong.

Regards,

Pete

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Edited Mar 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Just a final couple of comments;

- Fairly big problem; the Taxonomy listing doesn't get updated when I create a new vocabulary term and add a content item to it. The new content item and vocabulary term simply don't display.

- I have selected "Allow only one term to be selected" in my field settings. When I create a new content item, I can choose to not select any of the taxonomy options; so the item will be uncategorized. However once I've clicked any of the options, it's impossible to unselect them. It would be nice to have an optional "None" option if non-categorisation is allowable; and to have an option of "is required". I realise I can manually add a "None" vocabulary term, but then this term would be browsable, and for my particular use case this wouldn't be desirable. Not a huge issue (I can hardcode in the templates to ignore "None")  -but would be nice.

- I tried the Taxonomy Widget, but it displays nothing